Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Senator Bob Graham Has Died

 


Former Florida Governor and U S Senator Bob Graham has died and I am massively sad.  He was the last real governor of all Floridians and he was a huge Parrothead.  Together with Jimmy Buffett he was responsible for the “Save the Manatee” effort that adorns so many Florida license plates, and has become a part of life for many Floridians.  Although still endangered, the Florida Manatee owes its continued existence to Bob Graham and what he did to protect it.

I met Bob Graham in Washington National airport in October 1996.  I was waiting for an evening flight on American Airlines to Miami where I would connect to another flight to Lima, Peru.  I saw the Senator standing by the check in counter and walked over to introduce myself.

“Senator”, I told him “My name is Craig Faanes and I am a wildlife biologist with the US Fish and Wildlife Service.  I am not a constituent of yours but I wish I was."

The Senator asked "Why aren't you a constituent?"

I added that "I'm also a fanatic Parrothead like you.”

It took Graham a second to thrust out his hand to shake mine saying “Jimmy must be very proud of you.”

This opened the door for more conversations not only about Buffett but more importantly about the environment and his efforts in the Senate to protect the earth.  Although a strong advocate for environmental protection, Graham was best known as Chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee.  He was also known for carrying a notebook in his shirt pocket where he kept a minute by minute account of his activities each day.

I chatted with him for maybe 20 minutes before the plane was called to board.  I then shook his hand, thanked him for his time, and wished him well.

About halfway through the 2 ½ hour flight to Miami I felt a tap on my right shoulder. I looked up to see Senator Bob Graham standing by me trying to get my attention.  He had his notebook in his left hand and a pen in his right hand.

“Sir” he began, “can I have your name and contact information?  I would like to keep in touch with you about some environmental legislation we are working on.”

Who in their right mind would say no??

I asked if he wanted my home address and phone number or my office.  He said “Both.”  I quickly obliged.

Soon after returning from Peru I received a phone call from a staffer in Bob Graham’s office.  What we were about to do was perfectly legal but completely against US Fish and Wildlife Service policy about contact with members of Congress.  Graham’s staffer said he had a draft of some legislation on protecting the Everglades that the Senator wanted me to review and comment on.  Would I be ok with him sending it as an email for me to review?

He had to ask?

Until 2004, when Bob Graham chose not to seek re-election but to return to the Sunshine State, I regularly heard from his staff and sometimes from him, either by phone call or email about environmental legislation the Senator needed input on before he decided whether or not to support it.

I kept this inside channel to the Senator completely secret knowing how much trouble I would be in if someone higher up the food chain found out I was assisting a US Senator and his staff.  I was hired to work for the nation’s natural resources not to kiss the ass of those higher up the food chain.  I took the chance and it worked.

Tonight Bob Graham, who has a bridge over the mouth of Tampa Bay named after him, died at age 87.  I hope if there is an afterlife he is hanging out with his friend Jimmy Buffett right now, drinking a cosmic beer and singing a duet of "Margaritaville".  It would be most appropriate.


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful story, Craig; thanks for sharing it and for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Senator Graham, best governor in my lifetime. What a great experience Craig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So courageous of you, Craig, to take such a chance to steer the Senator in the correct direction regarding environmentalal protection!

    ReplyDelete