Saturday, December 22, 2012

Interesting Black Vulture Behavior


Black Vulture on light pole.  Photo by Steve Schwartzman


Each morning when I drive to 7-11 to get my one cup of coffee for the day I see one Black Vulture perched on every light standard between my place and University Parkway. They are there every morning at dawn like clockwork.  When I typically see them they are roosted right near the junction of the support pole coming coming up from the ground and the arm that extends out to the lights. Think of a small r -  they are at that intersection.

This morning at 42 degrees out it feels like a brisk June day in North Dakota.  Just now as I drove to 7-11 the Black Vultures were roosted on every light pole as usual however today every one of them was sleeping while standing directly on top of the lights.  I wonder if they weren't doing that to help transfer a little of the heat escaping from the illuminated lights to their bodies to keep them a tad warmer? I would not blame them if they were.

1 comment:

  1. I was curious if you ever thought of changing the structure of your website?

    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.

    Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or two pictures.

    Maybe you could space it out better?

    Also visit my web page - Garcinia cambogia Reviews

    ReplyDelete