Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Winter Has Finally Arrived


American Robin's might be the harbinger of spring in more northerly climes but here on the Suncoast of Florida they are a certain bet that it's winter. As I type this there is an American Robin outside my lanai doing their monotonous "cuk, cuk, cuk" call. And if any more evidence is needed that its winter now, there is a Ruby-crowned Kinglet singing nearby. You can't ask for two more certain signs of winter in coastal Florida. I hope this doesn't mean I have to start shivering or something.

I last heard or saw American Robins on March 28, 2009 and my last Ruby-crowned Kinglet was on April 1, 2009. So, if these two "winter" birds are any indication we have about four months of these bitter 60 and 70 and low 80 degree days to endure before the warmth comes back.

1 comment:

  1. next time you move, be sure to get a place with a fireplace for those frigid nights...

    ReplyDelete